Search This Blog

Monday, November 1, 2010

Yoga

So I said all along that this was going to be a lifestyle blog, I really want all of you to make this journey of self discovery with me.  I am slowly learning to make healthy choices, these choices are not just  limited to the  food I eat they also include incorporating a fitness plan that I can live with and enjoy pursuing.  I am not a gym person, I like my exercise to evolve a little more organically, more spontaneous. Walking is my favorite, I have three furry children who need exercise also, so everyday we make our way through the neighborhood.  I am also a student at a local university, I have classes on the third and fourth floors of the science and math building, I reluctantly take the stairs everyday...ugh!  I have recently started incorporating  about a half an hour of yoga each morning.  It is by far the best choice in my fitness regimen, I feel great and ready for the day.  Here are some health benefits for this ancient practice.

Article taken from The Mayo Clinic
Written by: ljpasion

What most people refer to as simply "yoga" is actually Hatha Yoga. Hatha Yoga is a system of yoga introduced by Yogi Swatmarama, a yogic sage in the 15th century in India. This particular system of yoga is the most popular one, and it is from which several other Styles of Yoga originated including Power Yoga, Bikram Yoga, Ashtanga Yoga, and Kundalini Yoga. The word "hatha" comes from the Sanskrit terms "ha" meaning "sun" and "tha" meaning "moon". Thus, Hatha Yoga is known as the branch of Yoga that unites pairs of opposites referring to the positive (sun) and negative (moon) currents in the system. It concentrates on the third (Asana) and fourth (Pranayama) steps in the Eight Limbs of Yoga

Hatha Yoga tries to achieve balance between body and mind, as well as attempts to free the more subtle spiritual elements of the mind through physical poses or Asanas, Breathing Techniques or Pranayama, and Meditation.

§  Asanas are various body positions designed to improve health and remove diseases in the physical, causal, and subtle bodies. The word "asana" is Sanskrit for "seat", which refers not only to the physical position of the body but also to the position of the body in relation to divinity. They were originally meant for Meditation, as the postures can make you feel relaxed for a long period of time. The regular practice of Asanas will grant the practitioner muscle flexibility and bone strength, as well as non-physical rewards such as the development of will power, concentration, and self-withdrawal.
§  Pranayama is derived from the words "prana" (life-force or energy source) and "ayama" (to control). It is the science of breath control. This is an important part of Hatha Yoga because the yogis of old times believed that the secret to controlling one's mind can be unlocked by controlling one's breath. The practice of Pranayama can also help unleash the dormant energies inside our body.




No comments:

Post a Comment