I made a huge pot of this on Halloween and we munched on it all day. It's healthful, satisfying and extremely low fat.
start with :
- 2 12 oz cans of stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 small white onion, diced
- 1 small potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup of shredded carrots
- 1 can of garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 bag of frozen mixed veggies
- 1 zucchini, cubed
- 1 handful of Italian seasoning
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 can of white beans
- a handful of mini pasta
- 2 cubes of vegetable bouillon
- 2 tbs of a good, fruity extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cups of water
Cut up the onions, slice zucchini and mince garlic.
Pour about a tablespoon or so of olive oil into a big soup pot over med-high heat. Toss in the onion, zucchini and potatoes. Saute until onion becomes almost translucent. Add the Italian seasoning with salt & pepper. Add the minced garlic and saute another few moments do not brown garlic.
Put the Vegetable Bouillon into the pot, smash it with a wooden spoon while the garlic is cooking and then pour in the 5 cups water ad vegetable bouillons. Add the stewed tomatoes bring to a low boil, then turn it down right away to a simmer.
Add the beans and let it cook on low to combine the ingredients. At least 10 minutes, but not too long, watch that the zucchini doesn't get too mushy. After the soup is finished cooking, turn off the heat and toss in the pasta, the past will cook in the hot soup, but not become mushy. top with a little oil and your choice of cheese, feta is good or parmesan.